Only 1,000 tourists per day will be permitted to enter Boracay Island during its reopening dry run from October 15 to 25. The government-imposed dry run will take place in preparation for the formal resumption of tourism activities in the island on October 26.
Atty. Helen Catalbas, the Department of Tourism (DoT) Western Visayas regional director, said it was the number of people agreed by the inter-agency task force.
Evaluating needs and issues of the island
The dry run was announced last month by Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Secretary Roy Cimatu. He said the practice run aims to assess the situation of the island once it officially reopens.
According to Catalbas, the 1,000 people to enter Boracay would mostly be from Aklan province. The provincial government of Aklan, led by Governor Florencio Miraflores, will be in charge of identifying Aklanons who will be allowed to enter the island.
Furthermore, DOT-6 advised visitors not to expect that everything will go smoothly by next month including Boracay’s road network.
Catalbas reminded guests that the island’s rehabilitation is a “continuing process.”
via Manila Bulletin / Tara Yap